· If you did not yet submit last week’s assignment, please hand it to class instructor as you walk in today.
· If you send this week’s assignment via e-mail, please follow this file naming format: YourNameAssignment#, e.g., AndreaHarpWk3 (note caps and the absence of spaces).
Here we shall make sure that you know how to:
1) Open Internet Explorer
2) Log into Webmail (webmail.wayne.edu/) or any other internet e-mail program of your choice
3) Go to PREFERENCES and change the settings for your e-mail account. Choose the following settings:
a. Set PREFERENCES to include SIGNATURE, which must comprise of, at the very leas, your name and e-mail address (so that your instructor knows for sure where the file is coming from)
b. Set PREFERENCES: REPLY box is filled in correctly (this way, when your instructor pushes the REPLY button, the message goes back to you)
4) Go to bottom and click OK to save these changes
5) Send e-mail attachments as WORD documents.
USEFUL WEPAGES (visit now these useful sites—by simultaneously holding the control key and left-clicking your mouse—at home, re-visit and add them to your FAVORITES):
· This class: www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/20302005/ (add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer)
· Readings for this class: www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/20302005/readings.htm
(add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer)
· How do you pronounce (www.m-w.com/) the following words: Macabre, Similar, Iraq? What is the definition of marcabre? Answer in maroon here
· Search WSU people: www.ucomm.wayne.edu/~fsd/index.html (add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer). Answer: What’s Linda Hulbert’s e-mail? Answer in maroon here Work phone number? Answer in maroon here
· ISP: http://www.clas.wayne.edu/IS/ (add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer) Is ISP3991 taught this semester? Answer in maroon here The professor is? Answer in maroon here
· To find a WSU class: www.classschedule.wayne.edu/course_web/schedule/index.cfm (add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer)
· Where is WSU’s Undergraduate Library? www.campusmap.wayne.edu/ (add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer).
· Library catalog: http://elibrary.wayne.edu/(add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer). a. Call # of American Holocaust. Answer in maroon. Which library has it? Answer in maroon Can you go over right now and check it out? Answer in maroon
Go to: www.google.com/ (add this to your favorites now, please, on this lab’s computer). Now, conduct an advanced search in GOOGLE, looking ONLY at university sites (choose EDU domain), and find out possible answers to this question: Did the CIA or FBI kill Martin Luther King? Answer in maroon here
àSave your file now to the desktop as: YourNameWk3 (e.g., JohnSmithWk3--(note caps and no spaces).
Scavenger Hunt / Tower of Hanoi Puzzle
Imagine that you are faced with a board that has 3 pegs, I, II, and III (see the figure above). Peg I has 3 disks of different sizes, with the largest disk, G(reen), at the bottom, the middle one, R(ed), in the middle, and the smallest one, B(lue), on top. You need to transfer all 3 disks to peg III, as shown in the figure below. In doing so, you must follow five rules:
1. You can only move one disk at a time.
2. A disk must be moved from one peg to another.
3. You can only move the top disk of a peg (e.g., in the above figure, you can only move Disk B of Peg I).
4. A disk cannot be placed on a disk smaller than itself (e.g., Disk R can never be on placed on top of Disk B).
5. Number of allowed steps: 7 or less.
Write a step-by-step solution to this problem (50% of the grade), so that a dumb robot might be able to follow your instructions. —Write down the answer in maroon font here please, with each step receiving its own line—
2. Hanoi is the capital of what country (look this up on the internet if you don’t know). —Write down the answer in maroon font here please—
3. That country is located on which continent? —Please write down the answer in maroon font here please—
4. What’s the predominant religion in that country—Write down the answer in maroon font here please—
5. What’s the major language of that country? —Write down the answer in maroon font here please—
6. The continent of that country is located on which planet? —Write down the answer in maroon font here please—
Please save your file now
I. Re-read (pp. 2) and listen to John Lennon's Happy Christmas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2YSAVHmIE)
II. Close your book
III. Re-read: Five levels of interacting with texts (pp. 4-6) and Applying the Five Levels to “Yudhishthira’s Wisdom” (pp. 6-7)
IV. Read model paper: http://www.is.wayne.edu/mnissani/20302005/ModelHigher.htm
V. Apply the five levels to Happy Christmas
VI. Get occasional feedback on your writing from fellow students and class instructor
Save your file now
When done, make sure that the file is appropriately named, e.g., NancyKapinWk3. E-mail this entire file to your class instructor as an attachment and make sure to retain a copy in your mailbox. Before leaving, make sure that the file arrived safely in your instructor’s mailbox. If not, you may have to do the whole thing OVER again.
Next week, Saturday, September 29, 2007: Class is in 150 General Lectures Hall, 9-5. Three assignments will be completed in class on that day, all of which will count heavily towards your final grade. So, do not imagine for a second that you can skip this class, come in late, or leave early and still get a decent grade.